Republic F-84F “Thunderstreak”
The F-84F was built bythe US manufacturer”Republic”, and first flewin February 1951. It wasproduced in great num-bers and was operative inthe air forces of many NATO countries. In Spring 1956 the first delivery in Italy of F-84F’s was assigned to the 6th Aero- brigade at Ghedi, and the plane was then used by the 5th Wing at Rimini-Miramare, the 51st Wing at Istrana. the 36th Wing at Gioia del Collo, the 50th Wing at San Damian° and the 8th Wing at Cervia, The F-84F closed its operative life in 1973 after some twenty years of service. Among its various uses (fighter and fighter-bomber). the F-84F was also em- ployed by Italian Air Force acrobatics teams. The model on display at the museum is exhibited with the insignia and co- lours of the famous acrobatic squadron of the Rimini-based 5th Wing, the “Thunderjets”, which flew between 1959 and 1960. The five F-84F’s (later six) of the 5th Wing were deco- rated in colours chosen personally by the pilots: red, white, green (then blue), yellow, black and orange. This last colour was the one preferred by Flight Sergeant Gregorio Baschi- rotto (now a retired Group Captain). The plane also bears the five rings that are the symbol of the Olympic Games. held in Italy in 1960.